Beloved Quotes by Toni Morrison – Author of The Bluest Eye
Beloved (novel) is a story of a former slave family whose house is haunted. Actually, Beloved is inspired by a real event that was happed in Kentucky, Margret Garner who was a slave, escaped and fled to the free state. She was so tortured that she killed her own two-year-old daughter so that she can’t go back to slavery.
Beloved is a very popular book even it has a movie adaptation as well starring Oprah Winfrey. Anyway, let’s get to the quotes of this amazing book which tells about the black side of American history.
List of best quotes from “Beloved” book:-
1. “In Ohio seasons are theatrical. Each one enters like a prima donna, convinced its performance is the reason the world has people in it.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
2. “Everything depends on knowing how much,” she said, and “Good is knowing when to stop.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
3. “No matter what all your teeth and wet fingers anticipated, there was no accounting for the way that simple joy could shake you.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
4. “It never looked as terrible as it was and it made her wonder if hell was a pretty place too. Fire and brimstone all right, but hidden in lacy groves.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
5. “She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It’s good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
6. “Today is always here,’ said Sethe. ‘Tomorrow, never.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
7. “They encouraged you to put some of your weight in their hands and soon as you felt how light and lovely it was, they studied your scars and tribulations…”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
8. “If they put an iron circle around your neck I will bite it away”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
9. “Something that is loved is never lost.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
10. “He wants to put his story next to hers.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
11. “Me and you, we got more yesterday than anybody. We need some kind of tomorrow.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
12. “You are your best thing”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
13. “Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
14. “Love is or it ain’t. Thin love ain’t love at all.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
15. “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.”― Toni Morrison, Beloved
Read More: Quotes and Book Summaries
This was the list of best-handpicked quotes from the “beloved” book, if you liked it then don’t forget to share this on social media handles and if you guys have any suggestions then please let us know by comment down below. Thankyou 👍.
Sourabh Sharma is a hobbyist book reader, Entrepreneur, and a literature student at Delhi University. A blog writer by day and a book reader by night, he is oathed to discuss himself in a third person but can be persuaded to do so from time to time.