We have curated a list of best James Joyce Quotes. Let’s get a look at the quotes.
James Joyce was an Irish novelist and, short story writer, poet, and literary critic. Joyce is known as one of the most influential and important writers of the 20th century. He also contributed to the modernist avant-garde movement.
Joyce has written Ulysses which is one of the most famous works. In this article, we’ll tell you some of the best quotes by James Joyce. So without any further ado let’s get into the list.
List of James Joyce Quotes
1. “Think you’re escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.”― James Joyce
2. “And then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes.”― James Joyce
3. “His heart danced upon her movements like a cork upon a tide. He heard what her eyes said to him from beneath their cowl and knew that in some dim past, whether in life or revery, he had heard their tale before.”― James Joyce
4. “Shut your eyes and see.”― James Joyce
5. “History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.”― James Joyce
6. “You made me confess the fears that I have. But I will tell you also what I do not fear. I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake and perhaps as long as eternity too.”― James Joyce
7. “I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defense the only arms I allow myself to use — silence, exile, and cunning.”― James Joyce
8. “Love loves to love love.”― James Joyce
9. “A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.”― James Joyce
10 .“Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love, but always meeting ourselves.”― James Joyce
11. “He wanted to cry quietly but not for himself: for the words, so beautiful and sad, like music.”― James Joyce
12. “They lived and laughed and loved and left.”― James Joyce
13. “All Moanday, Tearday, Wailsday, Thumpsday, Frightday, Shatterday.”― James Joyce
14. “Your battles inspired me – not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead.”― James Joyce
15. “Life is too short to read a bad book.”― James Joyce
16. “Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.”― James Joyce
17. “Why is it that words like these seem dull and cold? Is it because there is no word tender enough to be your name?”― James Joyce
18. “Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance.”― James Joyce
19. “Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race.”― James Joyce
20. “I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day.”― James Joyce
That’s it with the list of James Joyce Quotes, If you liked the quotes, don’t forget to share this with your reader friends. If you have any suggestions or queries let us know by commenting below.